Mittwoch, 11. August 2010

August 11th

Made an appointment to see the other flat on Sunday. I've seen so many people say 'thank you' to the bus driver for no apparent reason that I felt quite bewildered. Such things just hardly ever happen in Germany. I like this, makes me have a warm feeling about Glasgow being full of cool, easygoing and friendly people. So I've been trying to do the same, and it worked out fairly well for a coupla days, but at some point I simply I couldn't keep that up, which made me feel a little ashamed maybe, but most of all ... very German.
I LOVE TESCO for having customer toilets in a very easy-to-find place. And I've been watching an online stream with Australia's Next Chef (basically works like Germany's Next Topmodel) ExploreFood http://de.justin.tv/explore_food#/w/309557168/2. Right now they're making something that looks like boiled egg with toast, salt n pepper, but in reality it's ice cream, mango cream and sugar + something else. So cool.

The cucumbers are really unexpectedly high-priced in Scotland. Interestingly enough though, they do sell half a cucumber all packed up as well. I guess it's because there are less Turks here than in Germany, therefore there are other ethnic groups, but those don't usually include that much cucumber in their food. See what kind of philosophing is going on in my head when I haven't got that much to do. I even forgot which day it was today. Just went jogging for a short time till it startet raining and skyped half the day.

Finally bought a kettle that's working at Tesco and on the bus back home there were a bunch of Glaswegians that finally hat such a strong accent (and seemed to be understanding each other just fine, whil
e I was sitting between them, thinking that maybe it was the noises of the bus that made me have a hard time understanding. Finally, I completely felt like a foreigner in a strange country. Before it'd just been English and I thought, nah, well, how hard can that be? I'll understand the people, I usually do understand English when talking to Americans or reading English or watching English films, listening to music...but Glaswegians...are a whole different thing. Reminded me of why I came here in the first place. The accent's so gorgeous, and so wonderfully complicated. I'm gonna need much more practice. Hopefully, that couchsurfer Chris is going to teach me. He seems to be a real funny n interesting guy, though he's got the hell of a boring job. By the way, he did explain to me why things here are so expensive.
Quote:

Britain is expensive and did you know scotland is more expensive than england? it's becausue it's better!


Eunice and I had a little chat just now. It seems like she'd be rather happy I stayed, simply didn't tell me to not put pressure on me. To be frank, I'd feel better staying myself, just going to see the other apartment, in case it's a real hidden treasure and just so my Mum feels relieved. But I think I'm safe to say I'm going to stay, and not the stubborn sort of staying that had initially been on my mind, but the: 'I feel totally good about this place and extremely happy about the low rent too, so why should I go?' sort of staying. :-P

New Vocabs:
-Cloche
-Rhubarb

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen